California has both an adult and medical marijuana program. The adult use program is for individuals 21 years or older. You can only buy cannabis at retail outlets licensed by the California Bureau of Cannabis Control. Medical cannabis patients can only buy from a licensed medicinal retailer
During the transition period, which lasts from January 1 until July 1, 2018, you can do business with adult-use licensees or medicinal use licensees, regardless of whether you have an A- or M- license. Beginning July 1, 2018, A-licensees can only do business with A-licensees, and M-licensees can only do business with M-licensees.Individual counties hold the authority of many MMJ rules/decisions. The Department of Consumer Affairs will house a new Bureau of Medical Marijuana Regulation (BMMR). Cultivators will be overseen by the Department of Food and Agriculture.